Search site

What we do

A local Council is the first of the three tiers of local government.  It is made up of an elected Chairman and a minimum of four other Councillors.

If the local Council agrees, it can call itself a Town Council and the Chairman is then entitled to be called Town Mayor.

Local Councils have either direct responsibility for, or some influence over:
o Allotments
o Car parks
o Cemeteries
o Churchyards
o Clocks
o Commons
o Crime Prevention for Safer Communities
o Footpaths
o Halls, meetings
o Lighting
o Litter
o Open spaces
o Planning
o Ponds
o Public toilets
o Public Transport Initiatives in Partnership
o Shelters
o Signs
o Sports grounds
o Tourism
o Village Greens

Local Councils are also involved in:
o Planning Applications to County or District Councils
o Consultation on Proposals by Central Government
o Department of the Environment and Home Office
o Community Care Plans - Social Services Area Office
o Social Housing Schemes with Housing Associations
o Water Courses - The Environment Agency

When do Councils meet?
The Annual Parish or Town Meeting must take place between 1st March and 1st June of each year.  In an election year the Annual Meeting must take place within 14 days of the Councillors taking office. Additionally, a Local Council has to meet on at least 3 other occasions during the year.  There may be more meetings, but this is the minimum. (See Calendar of Meetings)

At least three clear days before a meeting, a notice (See Agendas and Minutes) specifying the time and place of the meeting must be displayed in a conspicuous place in the locality.  The public does not have a right to speak at a Local Council meeting but may be invited to do so.  If an elector wants the Council to discuss a subject, they must inform the Town Clerk at least three clear days before the day of the meeting.

When are Councillors elected?
Elections should be held every four years and are held if there are more candidates than places on the Council.

How do they raise funds?
Local Councils receive funds from the Council Tax.  Having decided how much money should be raised, the Council will claim the "precept" which is collected by the District Council as part of the Council Tax.  Local Councils may also be financed by the District Council to provide some services on their behalf.  They may also have funds from local trusts or bequests.

The Town Clerk is usually the "Proper Officer" of the Council and has responsibility for its financial and administrative affairs including the custody of Council documents and records.